The closed session of the 38th Conference agreed that a well-informed discussion is warranted on the future size and membership of the Conference. The Chair proposed a working group should be created with a widespread participation from all members. The working group will submit a paper to the next closed session.
An invitation for member authorities to join the working group was issued by the Secretariat on 22 December 2016 with a reminder sent on 12 January 2017.
Terms of reference for the working group.
A list of the 23 member authorities participating in the working group is available here.
The Executive Committee met in December and discussed a plan to move forward on this project along the following approximate timeline:
- December 2016: call for volunteers for working group
- February 2017: working group to commence active work on settling methodology for soliciting member input (e.g. an initial survey on conceptual purpose of Conference and bounds of membership with later survey on practical aspects of change if a consensus is clear)
- March 2017: Survey
- April 2017: Preliminary results available for Executive Committee meeting discussion
- July 2017: Report to be available for study by membership
- September 2017: 39th Conference.
This page contains resources that may be helpful to members of the working group. Some of these are links to resources already available on the website. It is intended that some resources will be expressly prepared by the Secretariat to assist the working group. Working group members are encouraged to check back on this page from time to time as new resources may be posted.
Papers presented to 38th Conference
Two discussion papers, which had not been circulated to Conference members in advance, were made available to delegates at the closed session of 38th Conference to open a discussion on the subject. They were provided on the Monday to enable delegates to read them overnight before the Tuesday discussion. In agreeing to circulate these papers to the meeting the Executive Committee noted in its minutes that: “It was not intended that any substantive decisions be taken at the 38th Conference but that the discussion merely start a conversation that might be taken forward into the 39th Conference.”
- Discussion paper by CNIL, France
- Personal Note by ICDPPC Executive Committee Chair to assist discussion
Working Group members should familiarise themselves with the current Rules and Procedures regarding membership and related matters. Some Working Group members may also wish to look at earlier versions of the Conference’s criteria for membership and observer status.
The current rules, with consolidated amendments, can be found here. The most relevant rules touching upon matters to be considered by the Working Group are in Part 1 and Part 5 (particularly rules 1.1, 5.1 and 5.3 which set out the purpose of the Conference and the membership and observer criteria).
The accreditation rules in this form were contained the Resolution on the improvement of the conference’s organisational set up which was adopted at the 32nd Conference in 2010. These accreditation rules were consolidated into a set of Rules and Procedures produced by the Interim Executive Committee for the 33rd Conference in 2011.
The Conference did not initially have any formal membership criteria. However, a set of ‘Criteria and Rules for the Credentials Committee’ and ‘Accreditation Principles’ were adopted in September 2001 during the 23rd Conference held in Paris. The accreditation principles remained unchanged until replaced in 2010.
Previous conference reviews
Previous reviews of the Conference and recommendations for change include:
- 17th-18th Conferences 1996-97 – See Options Paper Concerning Future Shape of Conference
- 28th – 29th Conference 2006-07 – See Report of Working Group on Conference Organisational Arrangements (Full Report) plus the Summary of Report (and the two associated resolutions: the Resolution on Conference Organisational Arrangements and the Resolution of the Working Group on Conference Organisational Arrangements)
- 31st – 32nd 2009-10: See Report of the Interim Executive Committee to Address the Organisational Set up of the Conference and the approval of the “Rules and Procedures” (2009), which referenced back to discussions at 2009 closed session and to a proposed Resolution on Accreditation of sectoral Data Protection Authorities, a proposed Steering Group Resolution on the Admission of Observers from International Governmental Organizations to the Closed Session of the Conference and to a proposed Resolution of the Credential Committee on the Improvement of the Organizational Set Up of the Closed Session
This part of the page will change in character over the course of the project. Initially it may have resources relevant to the design of a survey. Eventually the survey designed by the working group will appear. Later it will contain results and analysis of the survey.
Report on Future Shape and Size of Conference
This will be the project deliverable to be ready in time for the 39th Conference.