Note to ICDPPC members
The ICDPPC Secretariat thanks everyone who entered the 2019 Global Privacy and Data Protection Awards.
Now in their third year, the Awards celebrate the achievements of the entire ICDPPC community and shine a light on good practice.
This year’s entries have been shortlisted by the Executive Committee. The ICDPPC Membership has now been informed of the voting process and can cast their vote and designate the award winner for each category. Please note:
- Submit only one vote per authority (this is different to the Conference Rules and Procedures for the Closed Session vote which is one vote per country);
- Do not vote for your own entry; ignoring this will result in your vote being disqualified
- Submit your vote by Friday 11 October.
The award categories remain unchanged from last year:
- Education and public awareness;
- Dispute resolution and enforcement; and
- People’s Choice (shortlisted entries in all categories will automatically be entered for this Award).
Valid initiatives may include anything at all, such as any guidance resource, investigation, tool, publication, video, conference, website, partnership, poster, speech, policy, app, or intervention.
Education and public awareness
This category is largely influenced, albeit not exclusively by the valuable work in the ICDPPC Digital Education Working Group (DEWG). The DEWG has created tools for authorities to make their efforts in digital education available to peers and helped instil a culture of sharing experience in that space. Other public awareness initiatives will also be considered, including those which are not in the digital space.
Entries will set out how an initiative or project undertaken primarily by a conference member is working effectively to support innovation and as the case may be, disruptive business models. The award will help illustrate how conference members are using innovation to deliver their own work more effectively.
Even when not explicit in the law, accountability of organisations processing personal data and information is implicit in most privacy and data protection laws. What are member authorities doing to promote this concept of accountability and ensure that it makes the successful transition from law to practice?
Dispute resolution and enforcement:
It builds upon the focus that the Conference has placed on enforcement cooperation in several resolutions in recent years.
This category reflects the multi-faceted roles that Data Protection Authorities perform which always covers at least one of the following roles and often encompass the following:
- Dispute resolution: mediating or investigating and resolving issues where it appears to an individual that the law has been breached.
- Enforcement: taking many forms, enforcement involves taking formal action in relation to non-compliance with the law.
People’s Choice Award
In addition, all shortlisted entries will compete in the ‘People’s Choice’ category, for which all member authorities’ will be invited to vote.
Voting for the final winners will close on Friday 11 October.
What if I am shortlisted?
Then congratulations are in order! The Secretariat will contact you with the outcome of the Executive Committee’s decision.
What if I am not shortlisted?
There are no losers! Your project will still receive publicity because it will be shared with the global data protection and privacy community featured on the ICDPPC website, in the awards section.
When will the Award Winners be announced?
The winning entries are to be announced at the 41st Annual Meeting in Tirana, on Monday 21 October 2019. There will be a short awards ceremony, presided by the Chair of ICDPPC and the Host Authority 2019.
What principles apply to the Awards process this year?
The Awards in 2019 aim to uphold the vision and mission of the Conference, with the following objectives in mind:
- significantly simplifying the process;
- being fair, transparent and accountable in shining a light on good practice;
- providing an appropriate degree of member participation and control to ensure that the awards are a product of the Conference community for the Conference community;
- providing equal opportunity to members large and small to win an award; and
- avoid placing too much burden on members to review large volumes of entries.
The People’s Choice Award will again feature in this year’s award line-up!
Shortlisted entries in all categories will automatically be entered for this Award.
If you have any queries, please contact the ICDPPC Secretariat at email@example.com.